Security is a very big concern in the Technology world. Although staying logged into our google accounts on various devices is nice and saves us a lot of hassle, there are situations when it’s rather unsafe to stay logged into a device.
We’ve all at some point accessed our Gmail accounts from public devices like public computers, a stranger’s computer or even a friend’s computer.
Now, these are the scenarios am talking about. These days a lot of personal information is associated with our Google accounts and therefore we ought to keep this personal information safe.
Not to mention that most of the people now have their Google accounts connected to their bank accounts.
In this piece, I will be showing you how to make Gmail sign out of all devices from just one device.
But before we look at the procedure, let’s see some scenarios where you need to sign out all devices from your Google Account.
When to sign out all devices from your Google Account
Accidentally forgetting to sign out your account after using a public device, stranger’s device or friend’s device.
Getting a feeling of insecurity about your account. When you feel at some point that your account might be exposed to someone that is not you, then I recommend immediately signing out all devices. This includes cases when Google sends you critical alerts to your email.
Losing your device. This includes cases where you forget your device in a public place or when your device is stolen. I recommend signing out because you might not be sure of how many sessions of your Google account are open on a particular device.
You can add any other reason here of why you may want to sign out all devices from your Google Account.
How to sign out of all devices from a Google Account.
There are two possible ways on how to make Gmail sign out of all devices which include using a mobile phone and using a PC.
Sign out of all devices on PC
This method can be used to sign out both web sessions (sessions in web browsers) and also sessions in device applications, for example, the Gmail application.
So if you need to sign out all web sessions plus the application sessions, then you should use this method.
- Visit the Gmail web app at https://mail.google.com/ and sign in to your account.
- Scroll to the bottom right of the page and click on the Details label
- A new browser window will be opened showing details about all the active web sessions in your account. These details include the kind of browser used, the location of the last session and the time when the session was last accessed.
- Click on Sign out all Gmail web sessions. A success message saying Successfully signed out all other sessions will be displayed after the operation.
If you want to sign out of all Google applications as well, continue with these steps:
- Click on your account profile picture located at the top right corner of the application
- Continue to Manage your Google Account
- Locate the card with We keep your account protected and click on Get Started
- Click on Your Devices to open the list of devices signed into your account.
- Here you can only sign out devices one by one. For each device, click on the three vertical dots on the right of the device and then select Sign out.
Sign out of all devices on mobile
From the mobile phone, you can only sign out all sessions in device applications. You can not sign out sessions in web browsers.
Follow these steps to sign out of all devices from Google on mobile.
- Open the Gmail application
- Click on the account profile picture in the top right corner of the application
- Click on Manage your Google Account.
- Continue to Get Started in the security card.
- Locate and click on Your Devices, then open signed-in devices.
- Sign out the devices one by one by clicking on the three vertical dots on the right of the device and sign out
Note: If you saved your password why clicking on the save password dialog on a device that is not your own, then mere signing out won’t keep the account safe. For this, I recommend changing your password.