One of my favorite features in IDM is the ability to capture downloads from any website, no matter how complicated the site is. What’s IDM without this feature!!
Well, if you just installed IDM but it doesn’t capture any downloads from Google Chrome as you hoped. This article will guide you on how to integrate IDM into Google Chrome.
You’re wondering what the problem could be and how you can solve it. The problem is always with the IDM extension and these steps explain how to install and integrate the IDM into Google Chrome.
Installing the IDM extension in Google Chrome only works if you have already installed IDM locally on the computer.
If it doesn’t capture any downloads from Google chrome after the installation then you can follow these steps.
Include Google Chrome in IDM integrated browsers
- Close your browser and open IDM.
- Locate and click on the settings icon at the top menu.
- check the boxes:
Launch Internet Download Manager on startup
Use advanced browser integration
- Under the section: Capture downloads from the following browsers, make sure Google Chrome is checked.
- If the box was not checked, re-open Google Chrome and test if IDM works.
- Otherwise, if the box was checked already, continue with the following steps.
Check chrome extensions.
- There are times when the IDM extension exits but it’s just disabled by default. Therefore first check-in chrome extensions and confirm whether the extension exists or not.
- You can access extensions by opening Google Chrome, click on the menu icon(icon with three dots) from the top right corner of the browser window.
- Move the cursor to hover on more tools and click on Extensions from the menu
- If the extension exists (IDM Integration Module).Click on Details and make sure it’s enabled.
- Now restart Google Chrome and try downloading again. If the download is not captured by IDM, follow method 2.
Install extension from the installation folder
- Access the IDM installation folder which is by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager. Find a file named IDMGCExt. Note that in some cases, the file might be named IDMGCExt.crx if you have file extensions displayed.
- Drag the file from the windows explorer and drop it on the extensions page in Google Chrome
- If Google chrome shows a warning saying “attempted to downgrade extension“. Then you have to update IDM to the latest version.
- On successful installation of the extension, enable the extension and start enjoying fast downloads.
Some security applications may block the plug-in folder in chrome. Therefore make sure to include IDM in the exception list of such applications.
The IDM integration module may conflict with some prank IDM extensions from Chrome store. Therefore make sure to disable them if you previously downloaded them.