One of my favorite features in IDM is the ability to capture downloads from any website, no matter how complicated the site is, for example, YouTube. What’s IDM without this feature!!
Well, if you just installed IDM but it doesn’t capture any downloads from Google Chrome as you hoped. This article will guide you on how to add IDM in Chrome.
You’re wondering what the problem could be and how you can solve it. The problem is always with the IDM extension and these steps explain how to install and integrate the IDM extension into Google Chrome.
Installing the IDM extension in Chrome only works if you have already installed IDM locally on the computer. Install it from the IDM download page.
If it doesn’t capture any downloads from Chrome after the installation then you can follow these steps.
If your problem is with an expired free trial then I got you here.
Include Google Chrome in IDM integrated browsers
- Close your browser and open IDM.
- Locate and click on the Options icon at the main menu.
- Navigate to the General tab and check the boxes:
– Launch Internet Download Manager on startup
– Use advanced browser integration
- Under the section: Capture downloads from the following browsers, make sure Google Chrome is checked.
- If the box was not checked previously, re-open Google Chrome and test if IDM works after saving the new settings.
- Otherwise, if the box was checked already, continue with the following steps.
Ensure IDM extension is installed and enabled.
- There are times when the IDM extension exits but it’s just disabled by default. Therefore first check-in chrome extensions and confirm whether the IDM extension exists and enabled or not.
- You can access extensions by opening Google Chrome, click on the menu icon(icon with three dots) located at the top right corner of the browser window.
- Move the cursor to hover on More tools and click on Extensions from the menu
- If the extension exists (IDM Integration Module).Click on Details and make sure it’s enabled.
- Enable it as shown below, it is disabled
- Now restart Google Chrome and try downloading again. If the download is not captured by IDM, proceed to solution 3.
Add IDM extension from the IDM installation folder
- Access the IDM installation folder which is by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager.
- Find a file named IDMGCExt Note that in some cases, the file might be named IDMGCExt.crx if you have file extensions displayed.
- Drag the file from the windows explorer and drop it on the extensions page in Google Chrome
- If Google chrome shows a warning saying “attempted to downgrade extension“. Then you have to update IDM to the latest version.
- Otherwise, if the extension installation is successful, enable the extension and start enjoying fast downloads.
Some security applications may block the plug-in folder in chrome. Therefore make sure to include IDM in the exception list of such applications.
The IDM integration module may conflict with some prank IDM extensions from the Chrome store. Therefore make sure to disable them if you previously downloaded them.